I would like to preface this rather short list with a thought. A few days ago, it occured to me that it is rather hard to come up with a novel thought in the 21st century. A thought that came through your mind while in a shower is rarely novel. Philosophers centuries before have probably written extensively or delivered a lecture on every possible idea that affects the human condition and the universe. I think that my personality, beliefs and opinions are in some sort of an almagation of all the conversations I've had with people, the books and essays I've read, the films I've watched and the music I've listened to. Even this idea that my individuality is a collection of everything I have consumed is an unoriginal thought. For example, Kamala Harris was infamously ridiculed for saying 'You think you just fell out of a coconut tree, you exist in the context of all in which you live and what came before you.' A popular comment that frequently appears in videos o...
As she interrupts my sight, I beam as if it were the peak of my life. I got lost in her hypnotising scent and silky hair, While I searched for a place in her life. A bump between skins sent my mind on red alert, But I wished hopelessly for more. Every conversation felt like birthdays, Exciting events separated forevermore. I wonder if she will ever requite my hopeless devotion, Or if I was damned to be stuck in secret admiration. I foolishly long for the sight of her, That even a glimpse would suffice. I am sick of being stuck in the cycle of forlorn love, Which ends the same way every single time. It is as if I were Sisyphus on the mountain, Pushing my boulder of lovesick passion.
This is my second post for the year, as I promised I'd write more this year. Book review (with spoilers): The Testaments by Margaret Atwood The Testaments is the sequel to Atwood's most popular novel, The Handmaid's Tale. It is set in a future society in the USA , Gilead, where men rule society and women are treated as lower-class citizens and breeders. In the Handmaid's Tale, Atwood introduces Gilead and focuses on a young woman, Offred, showing how handmaids like her live in Gilead. In the Testaments, we get a look at how the powerful can use a select few of the powerless to further their agenda. We also see how iconography and propaganda can be used by the powerful to keep the powerless silent. Even in such a patriachal society, there exist powerful women like Aunt Lydia, or the author of The Ardua Hall Holograph. She is the leader of the Aunts in Gilead, which is a group of women who have more power and rights than other women in Gilead, but still less rights than ...
Comments
Post a Comment